Skip to main content

DARE TO DREAM FOR TEENS

My Latest Book. Just out...Grab a copy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression Josephine Diete-Spif Walden University An Incident of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression The words bias, prejudice, and oppression connote the inflicting of injustice on people due to no fault of theirs and society allows such. Derman-Sparks and Edwards (2010) explain bias as behavior or feeling from an unjust position that supports a negative attitude to a person or group because of their identity (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010). Prejudice on the other hand results from a preconceived judgment, unconfirmed negative report against a person, race, or gender (Herek, 2012). While oppression is the exercise of authority or advantage over a person or group to the advantage of another (Delphy, 2016; Thompson, 2017), as seen in my case. The incident of bias, prejudice, and the oppression I experienced happened in my Kingdom, Twon Brass, Bayelsa State. Nigeria, in 2010. 2011 was an electoral year in my State, and 2010 ...

REFLECTION RELATIONSHIPS

  Relationship Reflection Introduction Relationships or partnerships are the order of the world. No person can be alone for a long time, for it takes two to achieve anything in life, either negative or positive, that is why it is said that no man is an island. Relationships are either made, such as that between parents and siblings or are created, such as that between friends. The relationship is important to me as I have always loved to be among people. I delight in having to visit, chat and help people. I am the third child in a family of seven. I and my siblings still share moments to date. I am an outgoing sociable person that relates to everyone. I do have different categories of relationships at the moment. I have my King; my husband, my children, and my staff, I do have my widow’s foundation members, my fellow Rotarians, my kingdom women, youths, my church members, women in business, royal queens of the Niger Delta of Nigeria, etc., the ...

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression II

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression II Josephine Diete-Spiff Walden University The Hope of Cultural Competence In working with children and families from separate upbringings, one hope that I have is cultural competence to support their progress. Thus, the phrase cultural competence connotes the ability to comprehend, converse with, and efficiently intermingle with people from diverse cultures (Goodwin & Kai, 2019). Cultural competence practice needs an evaluation of one's behavior , ethics and the attainment of values. Plus, knowledge, talents, and qualities that enable a person to work correctly in different cultural circumstances (Betancourt et al. 2016). The importance of cultural competence is notable in the components of consciousness, behavior, and talent. Therefore, to exhibit cultural competence, I must understand that culture is more than people's skin color, discover each child's cultural upbringing, establish my cultural ef...