Skip to main content

Microaggression


Practicing Awareness of Microaggression  
Josephine Diete-Spiff
Walden University



Microaggression
Microaggression expression specifies the views of certain persons concerning another in an insulting manner deliberately or unconsciously (DeSalles, Morigeau, & Michaels, 2018; Laureate Education (Producer)., 2011). Such conditions happen when a person feels superior to another person. These insults are spoken or made subtly, but it still can cause harm to the person targeted as inferior. 
Microaggression Example
I hail from an oil-rich coastal kingdom in the Niger Delta of Nigeria. Our kingdom (community) is an Island and an oil merchant main base (host company). The lighting (electricity) system is generated and distributed by the host company, and my community has enjoyed constant 24-hour light, which is alien to my country. However, the light began to have issues from last month, affecting the festive period adversely. The people complained, but the host company ignored them. When I visited the community in the festive period, I had to use generators. 
Thus, a couple of weeks ago, agitation worsens among the women, and I asked my woman leader to hold a meet with the women and give me feedback on their anxiety. The feedback read in part that the women have resolved to riot to establish their anger against the host company for lack of electricity. Then I waded into the light issue, and within a week, the matter became settled and the light restored. I then asked the host company to send a senior manager to visit the community and apologize with a firm promise that such incidence will not happen again. Hence, in the outing meeting, one of the men stood up to speak and made this remark, which I found offensive and microaggressive in nature. 
He said, "Your Majesty, I would not have predicted that you will be the one to resolve the issue of light in this community. I detected he implied that because I am a woman, it was abnormal for me to have problem-solving skills. Conversely, denying my ability to have excellent negotiating skills because I am a woman. I felt slighted and unappreciated after assisting the members of the community in having light. Without being provocative, I calmly reminded him that it would not be my first time helping the community to resolve issues with the host company. 
Discrimination
Discrimination denotes an unequal choice, unjust behavior of a person, or group towards another based on their race, gender, disability, age, among others (Arrow, 1973; Bertrand & Duflo, 2017; Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010). My observation experience affected my perception of the effects of discrimination unpleasantly because I saw that discrimination is more rampant than I imagine. People have learnt to dislike others and deny them what is due them because of their situations of birth, or sex, which is not their making. People who feel they are superior to others have a set belief derived from orientation and teachings (Margles & Margles, 2010).
Prejudice 
Prejudice, according to Derman-Sparks & Edwards (2010), specifies a situation where people form an opinion about others without proof. Prejudice can lead to bias against a person or group. In this week's observation study, my knowledge of prejudice improved. I now understand what the term means and how to avoid being prejudicial in my judgment of others. 
Stereotype
Derman-Sparks & Edwards (2010) denotes stereotype as a term used offensively in generalizing a group of persons. Similarly, Zivony & Saguy (2018) specifies stereotype learning theories submits that only persons with knowledge about a group stereotype them. My perception of the term stereotype was negatively affected as I observed that people become grouped in an insulting manner because of one person's misbehavior. For instance, money-conscious is the stereotype label for the Igbo tribe in my country. It starts as a tale that a man was sick in the hospital, and his staff goes to show their support. The ill man gets offended that his business is left unattended. The Igbo man is then stereotyped as valuing money more than sound health. Conversely, the generalization might not be correct for every Igbo man. 
Conclusion
This study's week observation experience had implications on my perceptions about macroaggression, discrimination, prejudice, and stereotypes. My implications on these terminologists were adversely affected. Before this study, I have taken the terms at face level and felt it exaggerated among people. Now that I am enlightened on the subjects and experienced the actions surrounding them, I am more determined to see that the children kept under my care are not infiltrated with such behaviors to enable them to have value and respect for others. The essence of having value and respect for others is to foster peaceful coexistence among people to facilitate positive, healthier living, and more significant achievement.
Reference
Arrow, K. (1973). The theory of discrimination. Discrimination In Labor Markets3(10), 3-33.

Bertrand, M., & Duflo, E. (2017). Field experiments on discrimination. In Handbook Of Economic Field Experiments (1), 309-393. North-Holland.
Derman-Sparks, L. & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
DeSalles, L., Morigeau, J., & Michaels, J. (2018). The evolution of microaggressions against native Americans in Montana history books. Retrieved from https://scholarworks.umt.edu/umcur/2018/amposters/13/
Laureate Education (Producer). (2011). Microaggressions in everyday life [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
Margles, S., & Margles, M. (2010). Inverting racism's distortions. Our Schools, Our Selves, 19, 137-149. Retrieved from https://ezp.waldenulibrary.org/login?qurl=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.proquest.com%2Fdocview%2F872774698%3Faccountid%3D14872
Zivony, A., & Saguy, T. (2018). Stereotype deduction about bisexual women. The Journal of Sex Research55(4-5), 666-678.

Comments

  1. Hi Lady Josephine
    Thanks for the well written and insightful post! As an African I also notice how women are stereotyped and left behind when there is an issues of problem solving. To add to it I have heard men refereeing to women thoughts as "the ant's might." Maybe in your case the man was genuinely praising you for being able to help restore the electricity problem because of your position as a queen. How about those who do not hold any position? Even with all the education and successes some women have acquired, men still see women as "weak." How do we overcome that? I like how you pointed out from Margles & Margles (2010), that "people who feel superior to others have a set beliefs derived from orientation and teachings. Some people fail to recognize that there are good in people because of their preconceived ideas. As early childhood educators we also have the abilities to impact in children the need to respect people regardless of who they are as you pointed out. We should therefore charge ourselves to teach children about Biases, prejudice and stereotypes and their effect/impact on human life.
    I enjoyed reading your post. Thank you for sharing.
    Best Wishes,
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Martha,
    Thanks for reading my post and giving your opinion on issues therein. Those in my position are persecuted daily. Because some of the people close to the top see them as a threat. In my case, its constant courage and support from the King that keeps me going. I am attacked at everything I do because they do not want the people to see me as giving more support than them. Before that meeting held, it was war because the Queen should not call a meeting of all the leaders in the town because she is a woman, but she can when she wants to distribute gifts. Uneasy, they say lies the head that wears the crown.

    Moreover, microaggression statements are more notable from the tone of the statement than the statement itself. The words that were said after were, "they have been working on the light issue before now." To be a good leader, you need to be fearless, have courage, and faith in God. Those microaggression words were said sarcastically.

    Best Wishes,
    Queen Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for much for sharing your very detailed and thorough post on microaggressions. I can relate to being treated in a way that is degrading because I am a woman. I think it is impressive that an ongoing problem was solved. The fact that you are a woman should not be a factor in the way you were viewed for investigating and solving a problem.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Karrie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DARE TO DREAM FOR TEENS

My Latest Book. Just out...Grab a copy

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression Josephine Diete-Spif Walden University An Incident of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression The words bias, prejudice, and oppression connote the inflicting of injustice on people due to no fault of theirs and society allows such. Derman-Sparks and Edwards (2010) explain bias as behavior or feeling from an unjust position that supports a negative attitude to a person or group because of their identity (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010). Prejudice on the other hand results from a preconceived judgment, unconfirmed negative report against a person, race, or gender (Herek, 2012). While oppression is the exercise of authority or advantage over a person or group to the advantage of another (Delphy, 2016; Thompson, 2017), as seen in my case. The incident of bias, prejudice, and the oppression I experienced happened in my Kingdom, Twon Brass, Bayelsa State. Nigeria, in 2010. 2011 was an electoral year in my State, and 2010